Search In
    • More options...
    Find results that contain...
    Find results in...
colonel1

What would you do? Poker hand of the Week.

Thank you blue! That explains it perfectly to me... and now I know that I did slow play a pair of aces in my ignorance and I was just lucky to have won the hand anyway... whew!  woo Won't be doing that again that way! Thanks again for your patient and very clear answer!

katt

• Thanks 2

Glad to be of assistance Katt.  Check out the link in my previous post (I think I was editing it when you replied).

blue

Thanks blue that was a good one!  8) And definitely demonstrates exactly what you told me in your post above! :-bd :-bd

katt

• Thanks 1

Would you be able to join in our private freeroll (if you can download and register still at this site?).

You can find the details HERE.

It would be great if you could join us.

Also, I'd love to see some of your hands Katt asking us "what we would do".  Feel free to post (this applies to everyone) Rosebud, Jos, Chantelle, Orren.....et al

blue

• Thanks 1

Thanks again blue... I did manage to download and sign-up but there was no United States choice in the countries list... I selected US-Outlying or something like that and it let me complete registration and log-in. So, I will go sign up for the tourney at the other thread, it should be fun and a good learning experience for me. :-bd

katt

• Thanks 1

This is not a poker "hand" per se, but it is a definite "what would you do?" Hope it is ok to put it here.

Anyway, I was playing in a $.25/$.02 SnG. Down to last 2 of 6 players and my opponent went all in on every hand no matter what he had. He had a little more in his bankroll than I did and as he did this my bankroll kept shrinking with the blinds, while I folded hand after hand that were lousy cards and he never stopped going all-in every time.

The end result was I played a high pair hand and he went all in and lucked into the winning hand, game over. 

Have you encountered this kind of play head to head? What would you have done against this tactic?

katt

I've played against those types and did the same as you and with the same results as you katt...does make me want to reach into the game and slap them LOL LOL

• Thanks 1

I know the type you are talking about Katt.  Bearing in mind you said you were heads up, any high card like J, Q, K or Ace with any other card, I would have been bullying back.  I've found that the RNG's will favour the heavy better in these situations and you just got to win one hand to break his run. 

If you were getting rubbish, chances are that he was too and he was just bullying you.  It is typical that they get lucky with their rubbish but if you stand your ground early enough, you can turn it around. 

Easy to say but hard to do.

blue

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rosebud, I could have just stomped my feet and spit! Took all the fun out of the end of what had been a good game...

Blue you are absolutely right, I should have countered with the same right at the beginning, I had a very small advantage in bankroll size and he was getting crap like 3 9 off suit... and I think I had the edge mentally because I had been very steady and won the hands I played... lot of folding whenever I bet a hand... I just was not prepared for this tactic... but that is why I am playing these little games... to learn! I will be ready for that next time! Thanks again for great advice!

katt

• Thanks 1

I meant to add that suited connectors and connected cards are pretty good too.  You did well to finish in the cash Katt.  Keep on keeping on.  You are definitely getting there.

blue

Thanks blue for the vote of confidence... I actually did play some more SnG's and took 2nd in one and 1st in another... the 1st place was against a very experienced player who started out the playoff when we were the last 2 with 4x the bankroll I had... I persevered though and made it to the top!

katt

Thanks blue for the vote of confidence... I actually did play some more SnG's and took 2nd in one and 1st in another... the 1st place was against a very experienced player who started out the playoff when we were the last 2 with 4x the bankroll I had... I persevered though and made it to the top!

katt

Very nicely done Katt!!
  • Thanks 1

katt

That's good news Katt.  Very well done.

blue

• Thanks 1

Here is a hand for you to consider.  It's the first hand, nobody raises pre-flop.  It's a 6 seater cheapy tourney and you are the Dealer.

You are holding ac.gif  qh.gif.  One player raises and everyone (except one person) calls.  The flop comes down as.gif  ts.gif  7s.gif

Everyone checks.  The turn is 6c.gif  so I decided to do a "test" bet. I bet 150 (half the pot) and I get one caller. 

The river is 6s.gif.  The other player is first to act and he bets 450.

You have top pair, great kicker..what would you do?

I'll tell you what I did soon.

blue

Well blue,you came up with another toughy,it would have been easy but of course another spade came up so I'd probably fold and then hang my head in shame!! LOL

• Thanks 1

I find I play the players as much as the cards, but this being the first hand you would not know this player's style...

so I would have to look at the bidding... I would think he had a weak pair until that last spade came out and he filled the flush and bet the $450... that being my thought I would think I should fold.

But, I think what I would have done is call the $450 on the premise that he wants to buy the pot by raising the stakes... I find it hard not to bet on a pair of aces and even harder with a second pair behind it. Although, this thinking has lost me some pots counting on 2 pair to win... usually lose betting on 2 pair.

Can't wait for the rest of the story!

katt

• Thanks 1

I would fold.  Since it is a "cheapy tourney" and no one raised preflop and everyone stayed, the $450 bidder probably had the flush or three 6's.  Some of the hands these people play are incredible.

Anxious to hear what happened.

medtrans

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your replies everyone.  Much appreciated.

I did as you all said you would do and that was to fold.  I folded because of the possible flush AND because as you said Katt, it was the first hand.  I had no idea about how this player played, what sort of hands he kept and so on.

I did get a view of his hands later on in the game and made a note on him (some of which I cannot repeat!)  :`o which read "called a pre-flop raise with 69 off suit and won".  This player was an absolute donkey.

I would love to hear your "what would you have done" hands.

blue

• Thanks 1

Well if that is what a "donkey" does, today was donkey day whatever I played... Had people at every level and game doing just that... got very un-fun to play today. There is just no thinking and consideration of the game... and those same people are the ones that call people names in chat... go figure

katt

• Thanks 1

Well if that is what a "donkey" does, today was donkey day whatever I played... Had people at every level and game doing just that... got very un-fun to play today. There is just no thinking and consideration of the game... and those same people are the ones that call people names in chat... go figure

katt

This is the most frustrating part of poker today Katt.  There is no respect for the game any more.  They use the RNG to get their flush or straight cos they know it will hit.    You might see a better quality player with higher buyins - I use the word "might" very loosely though. 

To get a really good game with proper poker play, try a double your money sitngo.  These are great.

blue

• Thanks 2

katt

Yup katt.  I hear you.  That's why I quit playing poker a while back.  Now that I am back at it nothing has changed.  I haven't won anything since I won the "biggie." 

My problem is I get so frustrated with the way they play I find myself doing the same thing.  But I don't seem to win and they do.  :(

I am going to keep at it though because I am done playing slots for a while.

medtrans

Try playing at True Poker.  I don't have an LPB link for you - www.truepoker.ag  They have a different RNG there and you may find you get a better game.  The donks don't win with their rubbish and skill is needed.  The only problem here is there aren't too many people on the site (probably because of their RNG!).

They also have 12 hours of freerolls every Friday:

TIME ET PRIZE

12:05 $50

13:05 $50

14:05 $50

15:05 $75

16:05 $50

17:05 $50

18:05 $100

19:05 $50

20:05 $150

21:05 $50

22:05 $75

23:05 $50

blue

• Thanks 1

I feel you medtrans... I don't get frustrated so much as disgusted... I keep sitting down at a table and one person with crap in their hand will go all-in pre-flop on the first hand out of the gate... that seems to set the tone for the game especially if they win the hand... if they get slammed out the door there is hope the table will settle down... I slammed one of them on that tactic the other day, but usually one other hotdog with nothing in their hand will go along with it and lose, then the donkey has twice as many chips as everyone else and can continue playing that way. Enough of that and I go all in on marginal cards just to lose and leave the table.

Oh and I also agree about the slots... they are so tight now and it gets so expensive to play for a few minutes... poker takes much longer and the losses are small, not to mention a freeroll somewhere all the time...

Blue, thanks for that suggestion... I was wondering where to play to get a decent game. Do they have that double your money sitngo you spoke of? If not, where can I find that? For now off I go to check out True Poker!

katt

Well I downloaded them and signed up... they seem to be the same as another place I play, I am thinking BetOnline??? When I picked my login, it said already used, when I picked my nickname for the tables, it said already used, but I have not used them or played at TruePoker before... hmmm... hope they don't consider it 2 accounts.

Anyway, I got into a tourney and it was going well with one strong player that bet a bit too often, but did not hammer with a large stack... our play seemed to be keeping the rest of the table pretty mellow too... but my internet kept getting disconnected which is rare for me... so, even with that I kept getting back in the game after resetting my router but it hurt my play and bankroll so I only came in at 6th place...

Thanks blue!

katt