Search In
    • More options...
    Find results that contain...
    Find results in...
colonel1

What would you do? Poker hand of the Week.

Fold. You have just one pair in a multiway pot and a board that allows both a straight (unlikely) and a flush. As opponent plays it, there is a good chance he has the flush.

• Thanks 1

Ok - so this is what happened.

I sat there for ages knowing that I should probably fold thinking they may have the flush or even the straight with 8 / 10.  The "extra time" clock was running now.

I hovered over the "fold" button for what seemed like forever thinking about how many hands this person had played in, I noted they were short stacked, considered that they were probably a calling station and with 2 seconds to go I made my decision.

I called him taking into account all of the above and I decided that he probably had Ace rag and that my kicker was good.

His cards were A6 off suit and I won. 

I considered that my call was actually stupid despite the fact that I won as there were so many hands that could have beaten me but I'm glad I called (of course).

Thank you all for your great comments and yes, you were all correct; I should have folded.

blue

good call  Blueday u know how to read a player.  i got one for u. i'm in a tournament (4 man). To cash is 104 and at this time in the game the blind is 250-500 and there is 140 players left. i have 26000 the guy across from me has 65000 and the other 2 have 11000. The big stack start to bully the table. raising 2500  3 out of 4 hands. so nobody is calling him and i try once i had AK and the flop was no good. i check and he raises 5000 so i folded. what would u do in this situation? Just let him steal the blind or try to call his bluff,but just remember u are near the cut off point.

Hi kynettie,

Was there a showdown at all - or did he just keep stealing?  Did anyone get to see his hand?

I'm guessing that his cards were never revealed at a showdown. 

When you had the AK and he raised you before you got a chance to raise, I would have re-raised him all in.  He would know you have a good hand and would more than likely have folded.  I would let him know that he couldn't bully me that is for sure - even if only to protect my blinds. 

BUT....and I've intentionally written that in big letters cos it's a big "but"- taking into account the fact that you are so near the bubble and you didn't re-raise him, I would be swaying between calling to see one more card and folding.  I probably would have called his 5k bet just to see the next card.  You probably made the right decision to fold though and saved yourself 5k.

Let me know how you get on as I'm really interested.

blue

You still have 50BB, so there is no need to do crazy things.

How is the payout structure? How big is your stack compared to the average stack?

And if you want to play a hand, don't just call, reraise.

well i finished 90. i knew most of the time he was just trying to steal the blinds. well i was down to 8000 and made the cut at this time. So the guy  did his raise bet so i thought i just go allin i had A8 and guess what he at AK. I lost. Bad timing, thats the problem when going up against bully (timing) like Kenny Rogers would said u gotta know when to holdem and when to foldem.

Sorry you lost kynettie but what you said about that Kenny Rodgers song is so true.I need to heed that saying myself!!!

You're playing heads up and you are dealt ad.gif  6c.gif.

The blinds are $500/$1000 and you are BB.

Your opponent tells you he has 27 after raising pre-flop to $6,000.  You call the bet.

The flop is jh.gif  ah.gif  6h.gif

You check and your opponent bets $10,000.  You re-raise by another $17,000.  Your opponent calls.

The turn is 3s.gif

You check and your opponent bets $48,000 and you flat call.

Finally the river which is 3d.gif

Again you check and your opponent goes all in for $479,500.  To call you would be all in.

What do you do?

blue

:-\ wow blue,that's a tough one...at least for me lol!!! You have A's and 6's but there are 3 hearts on board and I wonder if his 2,7 are hearts or 3...3's or the possibility of a full house.I would call tho because it seems he is bullying and maybe trying to buy the pot.Hope you made the right call!!! :) :-*

Again tough call. i would fold depending on how much $$ i have. If i have less than 25% of what he has i would call. If i have more i would fold. Knowing u. u made the right call.

This wasn't actually me but it is a real hand.  I wanted to get your feedback before I gave anything away.

blue

I'm in a freeroll at Poker Stars.  It's quite early in the game and players are doing their usual "all in with rubbish" moves to build up their stack.

I'm Small Blind.  Everyone folds up to the Dealer.  Blinds are still 15/30.  

Dealer raises all in and I have td.gif  th.gif.  The play has been very poor up to this point.

What would you do?

blue

i would fold,too much to lose and tens are very vulnerable....he probably has kings or aces and wants you to think he is just buying the pot by betting crazy, hoping for a call

• Thanks 1

Thanks dabigdog for taking the time to reply.

You are right - a fold would have been the correct move. But I'd seen this player play very poorly and decided he was using position rather than his cards to make the all in bet.

I called as did the BB.

These are their hands:

Dealer  ac.gif  ah.gif

Big Blind  ad.gif  as.gif

Just my luck to call when he actually had a hand and just my luck that the BB had the same hand.  Needless to say, no 10 arrived on the board and these two shared the pot and I was out.

You made the right call dabigdog.

blue

Easy call?

I'm UTG so I just limped in for two reasons.  1. I'm UTG! 2.  SB (x3nonx) seems to be a serial raiser.

I was hoping he would raise pre-flop but I didn't think he would go all in however, with 400 on the table for the taking, I guess he thought it was a good move.

The dealer hasn't raised many hands at all.

Easy call or am I up against Aces?

What would you do?

blue

what_to_do.png.fbf006766e22b20481930bace5285392.png

Hi blue,decisions...decisions!!! I"d more than likely fold but is he bluffing or trying to buy the pot???If he was a serial raiser like the other player I'd probably go for it because some players raise no matter what they have(the raisemaster...lol) or if your AK was suited than I'd probably call too but what do I know ....if I was good I'd be sitting next to Phil,David,Annie,Moneymaker,Fossilman..etc,etc...lol!!!Hope you made the right call.

• Thanks 1

Ace/seven

Hi, my name is Robert Ginnane, and I'm sponsored by LPB to play tournament poker. You can check out my blog here https://www.latestpokerbonuses.com/poker-blog/colonel1/. I will be taking 1 hand from my tournament play each week, and ask you the question:

What would you do?

The blinds are 25/50 and I limp in with          qh.gif  th.gif in mid position, getting one caller and the BB who checks. The flop comes:

ts.gif  7s.gif  2s.gif

I bet $150 and get one caller. The turn card is:

3d.gif

At this point I\'m thinking the caller is chasing the flush, I bet $300 on the turn, the river card comes:

ah.gif

I lead out on the river with a bet of $300 as a

"stopper bet" used to prevent the other player from attempting a river bluff. I get re-raised to $800 chips.

What would you do?

Have I miss-played this hand?

What do you think the other player has?

Hi Rosebud,

Well I decided to call.  AK is a great hand and I thought it was worth the risk.

The guy who originally raised folded - you can look at the result in the attached picture.  He disclosed his hand after the game had been played.  He had JJ.  Good result for me, bad result for him.

blue

result.png.1750e3b227d0cbded164e305daa59eab.png

Blinds are 500 / 1000.  You have 3600 chips and you're dealt jc.gif  ah.gif.  You flat call for the 1,000 and nobody raises (you are in mid position and 2nd to act).

The flop comes down jd.gif  5s.gif  7c.gif and first to act goes all in.

What would you do?

blue