Search In
    • More options...
    Find results that contain...
    Find results in...
colonel1

What would you do? Poker hand of the Week.

Nice pot and with your great gut instincts, you played it right. 

...and re the 2 last week, thanks for letting us know.

blue

Hi, my name is Robert Ginnane, and I\'m sponsored by LPB to play tournament poker. You can check out my blog here https://www.latestpokerbonuses.com/poker-blog/colonel1/. I will be taking 1 hand from my tournament play each week, and ask you the question:

What would you do?

This week I'll be showing why paying attention to the table is so important. You can get information on players in every hand dealt, not just the hands you are in. Make notes on the players as you go.

Playing a $20 Hold\'em tourney I was nearing the bubble and got involved in this hand:

With everyone limping to me in the SB, I have 17K and I sit with  as.gif  ts.gif , The blinds are 300/600 with antes also. In any normal situation the correct thing to do here is raise the BB, or even go all-in to put pressure on the BB.

But, I have noticed the BB being very aggressive with a big stack (75K). Making what looks like questionable all-in moves. Also, I remember the last time around the table i limped into his BB with  J-10 and he popped his chips all-in.

I decide to set a trap with my hand, which is the best hand 90% of the time, I\'m actually hoping he raises 3K and I can go over the top all-in, but noting his aggressive moves I\'m allready consigned to calling an all-in bet.

BB obliges accordingly and goes all-in, I insta-call. BB turns over  8s.gif  7s.gif .

The board rolls out  tc.gif  9d.gif  8h.gif  8d.gif  8c.gif

Anyone have any thoughts on this hand?

Without stack sizes, average stack, payout structure this is a bit difficult to judge.

But actually, i don't like that play. Yes, ATs will be ahead of BBs range, but only like 60/40.

So what was BB's stack and your stack and how far away from the bubble were you?  

Did you have enough in your stack to make it to the bubble if you just posted and folded?  

Without that info, I wouldn't be able to say what I would have done in your position

blue

Yup dunno how I overlooked that, now edited. With regard to the bubble, I was about 150th with 130 making the money. Please feel free to discuss my play.

• Thanks 1

Taking into account the size of BB's stack and the size of your stack and the fact you said you weren't far from the bubble, AND knowing how lucky these big stacks get, I "probably" would have folded before BB made his all in.

I say "probably" because when in your position (SB) up against (BB) who is a blind stealing lucky sob, I may well have pre-empted his move and gone all in before he got the opportunity to.  Chances are he would have folded...but then that is difficult to say as I wasn't there and I hadn't seen what he had done if someone else went all in prior to that. 

blue

Hi Colonel,

I would of done the same thing you did to the "T"! I personally think you played that hand well. BB was aggressive no matter what. How much you would of bet or not bet seems irrelevant because of his aggressive play.

I think it's a case of dumb luck for him.

Lips

Hi Ya'll,

It's very tempting when near the bubble to just get your cards all in when in good position with good cards. But your aim in any tournament should be to win, and that means getting maximum value out of every possible hand you play.

Noticing the BB being very aggressive, I decide to set a trap with my quite big hand of   as.gif  ts.gif .

Now after the BB turns over  8s.gif  7s.gif , I am happy that I have caught out the thief, but I could very easily have BB dominated. I would much rather the BB turn over a weak Ace A-7. But either way my trap has worked, unluckily not to my benefit this time. But it is always gratifying to make a nice play even when it doesn't work out for you.

Hi, my name is Robert Ginnane, and I'm sponsored by LPB to play tournament poker. You can check out my blog here https://www.latestpokerbonuses.com/poker-blog/colonel1/. I will be taking 1 hand from my tournament play each week, and ask you the question:

What would you do?

The blinds are 3k/1.5K, I have a 95K stack. I'm in the BB with

jh.gif  5h.gif ,

There are two callers including SB, flop is

7c.gif  5s.gif  2s.gif ,

SB leads out with 3K bet, I flat call and the other caller folds.  I immediately begin narrowing down my opponents hand range. He may have a flush draw, top pair, a straight draw like 34, 68, 46 etc. Or an out and out bluff.

The turn is  7d.gif ,

This may seem like a bad card for us, but it can also be a good card, any straight or flush draw has missed, and any dirty bluffer has also missed, quite often  jh.gif  5h.gif is the best hand here. Given this I lead out with a 12K bet.

SB calls. The river is  5c.gif.

SB checks. I'm tempted to check, but I realize I may get a call with a value bet, if my opponent has a 2, or a medium overpair like 99.

I bet 12K on river. SB re-raises all in 70K putting me potentially all-in.

What would you do?

What do you think my opponent has?

Hi Rob,

This is a tricky one - very tricky.

I've seen lots of bluffs when the board pairs as no doubt you have too.  Its like "hey my bet says I got trips" when in fact it's rarely the case.

I think your opponent either has the 5 so he has the same hand as you or he was chasing that flush/straight and missed it and was trying to buy the pot.  If he had the 7, he would have raised your 3k bet big time and stopped the game there and then but he didn't.  He flat called you. 

I would have called him thinking that I either had him beat or he has the same hand as me.

blue

nevermind what he has, the only thing that can beat you is  a 7, is that worth your stack?

to me looks like your deep in the tourney, so i figure your either in the money, or on the bubble, which would influence my descisiona lot:

also the buy in and or rebuys, if there were, how many you did etc,

please some more info mate!

if its just on this info, i be inclined to call, but like i said...

too open for me

Opponent represents the 7 here, and his story makes some sense. Without a history we have to fold here.

But was it necessary to bet that big (12k in a 15k pot) on the turn? We build a pot here with not that much of a hand.

Hi,

Dirk I'll try put some more info into my hand of the week next time, I know you have to factor in a lot of variables with regards to past history, the proximity to the bubble, the other opponents stack etc...

In this case I was reasonably deep in the money into a $10 tourney, the opponent had a similar stack, and hadn't stood out as overly aggressive or anything from memory.

With regards to pot size, on the turn the pot was 17,700  this includes antes of 300. My 12K bet on turn is a feeler bet, and also to stop SB drawing cheaply.

The river is the big problem. It is a reasonably advanced play to check raise the river, I was confounded. Needless to say I used most of my timebank on this one.

Cheers

Rob

• Thanks 2

ok, then considering he wasnt overly aggressive, and you were reasonably deep in the money, the scale in my case would drop to WANT to call, but still fold in the end.

you still have more then 20 BB left, which might give you  a chance to win the tourney, where as calling, could end the tourney, although chances are slim, that he beats you, it still present enough, as you say he wasnt overly aggressive, and you needed your time bank. (factoring in that somehow the villain earned your respect throughout the previous hands)

this smells like  a float, and it is  a pity that he wasnt  a shorstack, cause then you could have called more easily.

its very hard to lay down  a full house regardless, but i think its best thing to do, under the circumstances, because you want  to win right?

of course you could always say hey: im deep, i made  a good profit already, and there only 2 cards in  the deck that beat me, the odds are too good to fold, but we all know how those odds play you:)

and mostly, the difference in 1st to tenth place, is a fair amount of cash, and as a tourney player, those times that you reach the final table, or are close to it, will be very important to hold up your brm/ev  and can make  a winning year or losing year.

so i think its best to play safe and fold, get him back in the net ten hands:)

Hi Y'all,

Inspired by Phil Ivey who seems to get the maximum value out of his hands, including value betting the river if he think she has the best hand, I value bet my lower fullhouse after my opponent checks the river.

After my opponent re-raises me on the river all-in, I'm am put to a tough decision. Using most of my TIME-BANK I decide eventually to call thinking I am probably about 50/50 of getting this decision right.

Unfortunately my opponent has employed a fairly advanced play of checking the nuts on the river. He turns over 10-7 with a higher fullhouse, and I am left ruing my decision, and also annoyed I can't find more hands of the week where I've made good plays!!!!!

Til next week,

c y'all later

Rob

Can I add on to "what would u do" or is this only for Rob?  Thanks

Hi kynettie,

This is Rob's thread but I encourage you to start your own - that would be fantastic.

blue

Thanks Blue   

I had a hand the other day and wanted to ask what other would do, but i play so much can't remember all the hands...LOL  Thanks anyway..

Hi Y'all,

Sorry for the delay, but here's what I shall call poker hand of the Month as it's been that long since I've posted.

I'm playing in a $30 Hold 'em tournament, the blinds are 100/200, and I have 5225 chip stack.

I am the last to act on the button and I make the standard raise to 600 with

kd.gif  td.gif ,

SB ponders a decision, then puts 2036 all in, and BB folds.

So here I am put to a tough decision and have to do some maths on the run, to work out my pot odds. So, I have 600 in the pot and I have to call 1436 to win  

4272. So I'm getting 2-1 on my money to make the call, if SB had 3000 or more chips to begin the hand, I would not be getting the right odds to call. But with only 2K I am right on the border.

In most cases if you getting 2-1 on your money, unless there are other things to consider like proximity to the bubble, or your stack size, you usually must call with any 2 cards.

Given my hand these are the hands I may be up against and the odds:

kd.gif  td.gif  vs  ac.gif  qc.gif  (one over one under) odds - 40%/60%

kd.gif  td.gif  vs  as.gif  9s.gif  (2 in the middle) odds 43%/57%

kd.gif  td.gif  vs  8h.gif  8s.gif  (over cards vs a pair) odds 48%/52%

kd.gif  td.gif  vs  js.gif  jh.gif   (one over card) odds 32%/68%

kd.gif  td.gif  vs  as.gif  kh.gif   (dominated hand) odds  29%/71%

kd.gif  td.gif  vs  ac.gif  ah.gif   ( 2 under cards)  odds 18%/82%

So 5 out of 6 of these situations I am getting roughly 1-2 or better odds to call, only in 1 case am I making a bad call.

If you have any thoughts or ideas, on why or why not to make this call please post, I look forward to more hands of the week in the future. I will post what hand I was up against later in the tread.

Caio Y'all

Hi Rob,

I've sat here and written two replies and cancelled them both without replying.

I think you made the right move with the pre-flop raise - always worth a min raise with that hand. 

As to calling his all in - I really don't know whether to say I would have or not.  How many players were in the game and what position were you?  What was the biggest stack?  What was the player's previous play like?

blue

Fold - small blind going all in after a preflop raise already more than likely means he has a good one and can collect some easy chips either with his hand or by others folding their chips.  Definately fold.

Hi, my name is Robert Ginnane, and I'm sponsored by LPB to play tournament poker. Sorry for the delay, I actually enjoy posting these hands but have forgotten of late.  You can check out my blog here https://www.latestpokerbonuses.com/poker-blog/colonel1/. I will be taking 1 hand from my tournament play each week, and ask you the question:

What would you do?

I briefly mentioned this hand in my blog, but here's what happened:

Blinds are 350/700 antes are 85. I have 12,000 chips and we are not far off the money but not right on. My opponenet also has about 12,000 chips.

I min-raise on the button with  ad.gif  jh.gif to 1400 chips

BB calls. The flop is  as.gif  jd.gif  9c.gif.

I bet 1400, and BB calls.

The turn is  th.gif.

BB checks, and I check also.

The river is another  ts.gif

I call a 4,500 chip river bet.

What do you think of this hand? If you haven't read my blog, what do you suppose he/she has?

Thanks Y'all

Rob